Savage bar room bouncer or honorable hand-to-hand champion, the Brawler wades in and mixed it up with opponents at close range. He fights to win, not to show off, his close-combat skills inspiring comrades and terrifying foes. He uses anything within his reach to gain an advantage — broken bottles, trashcans, pool cues — and his superb physical conditioning minimizes the effects of the blows he takes along the way.
Attributes: Strength and Constitution are the Brawler’s essential attributes; the only questions he needs to ask of himself are “Can I dish it?” and “Can I take it?”
Vitality: 1d12 + Con modifier per level.
Base Attack Bonus: +3 or higher.
Intimidate: 6+ ranks.
Feats: Improvised Weapon Basics.
The Brawler’s class skills are Athletics, Drive, Impress, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, and Streetwise.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Ferocious: Each time you spend 1 action die to boost a damage roll when using an unarmed or improvised weapon, you roll and add the results of 2 dice (e.g. the bonus of a Career Level 8 Brawler, ordinarily 1d6, becomes 2d6).
|Table: The Brawler|
|1||+1||+2||+1||+0||+1||+2||0||—||Ferocious, whatever’s handy +1|
|2||+2||+3||+2||+0||+1||+3||0||1W||Cheap shot I (damage)|
|4||+4||+4||+2||+1||+2||+5||1||1W, 1S||Bonus feat, shrug it off|
|5||+5||+4||+3||+1||+3||+5||1||1W, 1S||Ploy, whatever’s handy +2|
|7||+7||+5||+4||+2||+4||+7||2||2W, 1S||Cheap shot II (flat-footed), ploy|
|8||+8||+6||+4||+2||+5||+8||2||2W, 1S||Bonus feat, fight club|
|9||+9||+6||+4||+3||+5||+9||3||2W, 1S, 1V||Ploy, whatever’s handy +3|
|10||+10||+7||+5||+3||+6||+10||3||2W, 1S, 1V||Juggernaut|
At Level 5, this bonus increases to +2.
At Level 9, this bonus increases to +3.
Cheap Shot I: At Level 2, if you score a threat with an unarmed or melee attack (but do not activate it as a critical hit), you inflict the maximum possible damage, as if you rolled the highest value possible with each of your damage dice. If you benefit from any bonus dice to this attack (e.g. action dice, sneak attack damage, etc.), they are rolled as standard.
- Beat Down: Each time you make a successful unarmed or melee attack, the target suffers 1 point of stress damage in addition to any other damage inflicted by the attack.
- Provoke: You gain a +4 synergy bonus with any skill check made as part of a Taunt or Trick action.
- Smack Down: When you make a Standard Unarmed Attack without applying any tricks, your attack gains the takedown quality.
- Stare Down: When you render an opponent unconscious, you may take a Threaten action against another opponent within CQB range (see page 327) as a free action.
- Still Standing: You gain a +8 bonus with Fortitude saves made to remain standing after being hit by an attack with the takedown quality. Additionally, you gain a +4 bonus with skill checks made to resist Bull Rush and Trip actions.
- Strut: After scoring a threat or critical hit with an unarmed or melee attack, you may spend your next half action posturing, at which point you gain 1 bonus action die (without the accompanying XP bonus). If not used by the end of the current combat, this action die is lost.
Fight Club: At Level 8, once per combat as a free action, you may choose a Melee Combat or Unarmed Combat feat you possess. Each of your teammates may gain the chosen feat as a temporary feat until the end of the current combat.